Tips for Saving Money and Staying Cool in a Heat Wave
With temperatures hitting 113* in Santa Clarita yesterday, we are all feeling the heat. But saving yourself from the extreme temperatures doesnt mean that your electrical bill has to be sacrificed. Here are some tips on how to stay cool, and save money in this heat wave:
- Install an Energy Efficient HVAC Unit: Although this is the most expensive route to take, its can save you $85 on average on the lifetime of the unit. They also use 15% less energy than a conventional unit and help ease stress on the power grid.
- Clean Your HVAC Unit: Having your evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils cleaned not only prolong the lifetime of the equipment, but help your unit run more efficiently.
- Check Your Filters: If your filter is dirty, your unit will run less efficiently costing you money.
- Install a programmable Thermostat: Technology has greatly advanced in this area. Smart Thermostat’s such as Nest or the Thermostat/ Home Security combo such as Vivint can adapt to your families schedules. Although it is a small investment, it can lower your monthly bill and take one less thing off your plate to worry about.
- Weatherize Your Home: Weatherizing your home is one of the most cost effective methods of saving energy. By caulking, or weatherstripping windows and doors, you can up to 10% of your energy bill.
- Set Your Water Temperature Lower: Switch your water heater temperature from Hot to Warm. Also, use the cold cycle more often as well as running your major appliances after 9pm. Your water heater accounts for 90% of the energy used by your washing machine. By using lower temperatures after peak hours you are guaranteed to save money on your utility bill.
- Close Your Blinds: Blocking the sun from entering your home can help keep the internal temperature down during the day.
- Turn Off lights/ Use Energy Efficient Light Bulbs: Although energy efficient light bulbs can be more expensive, the lifetime of the bulb will make up for the investment as well as lowering electrical costs in peak hours.
- Cook Outside: I know it’s hot, BUT with a couple friends, some cool drinks, and a tank of propane, you can have a nice summer evening without the cost of running your oven/ stove and heating up your home.
- Keep Doors Shut: Heat enters a home every time you open a door or window. So, avoid running your air on moving day.
With just a few of these tips you can be sure to beat the heat without breaking the bank. Remember to drink plenty of water, and to watch out for your furry friends! If it’s uncomfortable for you, it’s uncomfortable for them. If you would like other recommendations on how to save money, add value to your home with energy efficient appliances, or are interested in upgrading to a pool home, you can contact us here, or give us a call at 661-373-2374.