Tips To Protect Your Home From Flooding
Over the summer we experienced devastating wildfires, only to be followed by a record-breaking winter season. Although the abundance of snow and rain has dramatically helped Californias drought crisis, it has had some adverse effects for those living in recent burn areas. Below are 9 tips to help protect your home from sudden flooding.
- Protect Your Home: 20% of flood claims come from places where the flood risk is low, according to floodsmart.gov. Check with your insurance agent to see what flood insurance will cost you.
- Protect Yourself: Many residents were asked to evacuate their homes with the recent storm systems. If you live in an area that becomes at risk it is good to have a “go bag” in case you need to leave immediately. Some items that are helpful to include are changes of clothes, insurance company contact information, essential toiletries and medications, and money to get you through for a few days. In addition, it is smart to discuss with your family where flooding tends to occur, and an evacuation route that avoids these areas.
- Fix Any Leaks: If you are aware of any roof or foundation cracks, it is important to get these items fixed immediately. By doing so you lessen the chance of water entering the home and creating significant damage.
- Clear Gutters And Drains: Keep gutters and drainage systems clear to carry water away from your home. Check storm drains on your street, as leaves and debris can block them, causing water to collect. Keeping these clear will lessen potential flooding.
- Catalog Possesions: It is a good idea to have a catalog of possessions in the event of flood or theft in evacuated areas. Items can be cataloged with a digital camera, and stored on a USB drive or cloud system.
- Install French Drains: If you live on a slope or in an area with regular flooding install a French drain. French drains collect water in your yard and divert it safely away from your house.
Floods are a common challenge that many homeowners will face at one time or another. However, by keeping your home in good repair, moving valuables out of water’s way, and creating good drainage around your home, you can stop or reduce potential flood damage. If you are searching for an insurance company that offers flood insurance be sure to contact us here for a referral, or by calling us at 661-373-2374.